June 1, 2010

Facing Fears…Driving Grounds

My childhood was filled with back roads and dirt clouds billowing. Growing up in the country brought me some of my finest characteristics. I am a down-to-earth gal with an easy going nature. My current demographics are comfortable for me while living in a subtle town, but prefer to purchase myself a chunk of land one day and build my dreams out in the vast calmness of the country setting. Today I headed to a world I am very much uncomfortable with. This lady is not a city girl. The car was packed and I was on my way towards an adventure of a lifetime.

Here is the narrative from my eyes…

The ride had been fairly comfortable with the traffic quantity she is accustomed to…split highway and two lanes one way. Listening to the adventures of an audio book, she gazed at the time. “Should be there in 20 minutes,” she stated to herself. Changing modes back to live radio she was feeling confident. The new project she was placed on for work might just be what the doctor ordered. Venturing the depths of working in a more independent manner has left her excited, yet a bit nervous. Determination to prove her value to the company pushes her drive for success.

Lifting the lever to signal right, she took the exit that was her entrance to the desired community and a moment of great anxiety. The flood of vehicles alarmed her as she used her left blinker to make her way onto the main artery of this commuting circulation. Hands wrapped around the steering wheel and her knuckles white she yells out, “Sweet Jesus! Three lane, four lane traffic…no way man, I was not made for this!” Deciding that the middle lane was the safest she settled into a less panicked state and resided in a slightly elevated level of stress.

She took a deep breath as she reached her exit off of the complete chaos. One wrong turn sent her heart rate back up as she surrendered to the driving Gods. “Please, just get me to the hotel,” she expressed in a defeated tone. Looking in the rearview she didn’t see the procession of cars behind her, no she saw that her back seat was empty. She was alone, this was her chance to lasso her fears and wrangle her apprehensions of driving in large cities. “You can do this,” she coached her way through the maze of streets.

There it was…the sign of her destination waving her in. The only thing that stood between her and getting out of the car was road construction. Her first thought was, ‘seriously, does absolutely everything that could present challenge have to surface all in one day?’ Shaking it off, she managed to work the roads like Pac-Man winding through the maze of orange cones to triumph.

Parking the vehicle, she got out and jumped for the euphoric rush of arriving in one piece. Resisting the urge to kiss the ground she smoothed out her clothes and walked with the sass of a confident, independent woman. Professional, she for sure is a qualified candidate for the job. One minor hurdle opened up a vault of courage for the young woman.

…That woman was me

The valuable lesson I learned today is, “What doesn’t kill you will only make you stronger!” Yes, today I have brought light and laughter towards myself…a very important quality that gets me through most of my days. In all seriousness though, I feel greatly accomplished. When I got back in the car I tootled around and maintained my anxiousness by refocusing it into poise behind the steering wheel. I will leave this town a more self-assured driver!

Challenge accepted…Victory sweet

~Nina~

No comments:

Post a Comment