February 18, 2010

Everyday Can Hold an Unexpected

There is a woman that has brought continued support to me daily. She has talked, she has listened, and she has embraced me through a time of serious grief. Again today she was holding my hand and guiding me with a difficult day. Unexpectedly this dear friend of mine was faced with a tragedy herself. The call came to her at work; her husband had passed away this afternoon.

The emotion that rushed from her soul brought uncontrollable tears to my eyes. Shock, it froze her entire essence, “What? What are they telling me?” poured through her emotions. A couple of times she looked at me and I knew…I knew what she was trying to tell me. I vowed to return the same dedication, the same support she conveyed to me through my journey. I left her with a network of family and friends as I went to get her children.

While driving I struggled with a range of emotions. I was scared, worried, sick, grief stricken, and more. Strength was what I was seeking so I could be there for her and for her boys. I arrived at the house and knocked at the door. The oldest opened and I had all I could to do from lurching forward to wrap him up with a hug. Can I do this? Can I keep from the eluding of something as wrong? He was surprised to see me, but not. I explained that his mom asked me to pick them up and bring them to town as she was going to be working late. The boys quickly got dressed and we were on our way.

I held my grip on the steering wheel. Steady, I needed to remain steady. The venture back to work was the slowest ride ever. These kids were going to be met with a deep sorrow and I wanted to find a way to shield them from it. The youngest worked on his homework and the oldest checked it for him. A silent tear flowed down my cheek. Pride, this young boy was going to become an extreme support to his younger brother and his mother. He will have to grow up at a rapid rate. The vision of the future left my feeling as though I was swallowing my heart as it had lodged into my throat. I know he can do it and I am so proud of him already.

I did not leave them until I knew they would be ok. Support is what they needed and support is what I wanted them to feel. They all put their coats on and she explained that they had arrangements for the vehicle as well as transportation to a family member’s home. I so badly wanted to enfold her broken heart and take this all a way. I wanted to erase the distress of her already difficult week. Knowing I couldn’t, I did what I could and that was embracing her with love. I will continue to pray and send the support. Please know you and the boys are in my heart.

As I watched them walk down the hall to leave I couldn’t help but tear up. Her arm around them and there they went. The journey of survival together will bring them together and be stronger then ever. Her husband, their father will watch above and send grace to them everyday. His love will convey through and provide them with courage. He will forever fill their hearts.

I ask, please, grab your husband, your wife, your partner, your kids. Grasp your loved ones and hold hands with prayer. This family needs every ounce of faith they can receive. I am petitioning the heavens and recruiting serenity for their souls. Together we can all provide a sense of sanctuary to hover over them through the up coming difficult days. I thank you for taking this moment to log in and view my writing. Please help me give back to a family that has brought bravery to me. Prayers will give them guidance.

Sista…this is for you!

~Nina~

1 comment:

  1. I will pray for them, as I continue to pray for you. (((HUGS)))

    ReplyDelete