August 31, 2010

Heel to Toe…Letting you Know

As a child and into my adolescent years I was the exceptionally tall gal with a brut-type build. Never did I ever feel girly nor have a desire to want to embrace feminine qualities. After all, why would I do that…I looked better in football pads than a dress, which is how I felt about my body structure. I wore little to no make-up and owned 2 pairs of dress pants at graduation. I was going to work in the Nursing field which gave me the privilege of wearing the figure concealing scrubs and leaving me comfortable.

Never have I had a shopping fetish or knowledge to piece together anything fashionable. I just accepted my style dismay as mine. Well, let me take you on a stroll of evolution!

Within the last year I have learned that I can appreciate my qualities of strength and ability to get dirty as I change the oil in my vehicle, but also I can put together a vision of a true woman with the soft luminance of beauty. The process has been slow, but my make-up kit involves choices I didn’t know could be possible and my closet holding professional attire of skirts, slacks, and various tops to layer. I do own a curling iron and have the comfort to use it. Each day I try and present the flourished woman that has evolved along this journey. I am now at the phase of accessories and how do I put a necklace with the ensemble…though funds are limited, I just slowly piece things together.

As I look in the mirror I find myself putting my sewing skills to use as I do my own tailor work to my clothing as my figure has slimmed down. I have gained the comfort of clothes that “fit.” I avoid the baggy look and try to step out of my comfort zone to continue to build upon my ever growing self-esteem. Now, one thing that has haunted me is, yes my height! I looked at women walking in nice shoes, elegant heels, and dreamt what it would be like to have that confidence myself. I always just said, “I would break an ankle if I wore something like that or I would faint as I was brought to a new altitude where the air is thin,” but my curiosity never faded. Guess what!!

You guessed it. I took a step, a giant step out of my comfort zone and bought my first pair approximately three months ago. It was awkward at first as I am just about 6 foot without assistance. The angle at which I was walking brought a fatigue in my legs as it felt like I had worked out heavily, but it was just my muscles adhering to this flaunted delicacy heels bring to a woman’s wardrobe. About six weeks ago there was a gal that gifted me around seven pairs of heels and I fell in love! The confidence a set of heels gives is beyond that heaven of a dark chocolate candy bar!!

Each day, regardless of the circumstances I just maintained that mindset of keeping one foot in front of the other. I have tried to keep my chin up and walk tall even when I felt itty bitty through the intimidation I lived. Most days I feel that I am an unnoticed part of society, an undetectable attribute to our society. I was wrong…

Someone stopped me a few days ago as I walked across the lobby. They told me that it was nice to see someone embrace their height and not allow it to stop them from wearing shoes such as mine. They continued to tell me that it made them proud to watch as my shoulders were back, my posture strong, and the grace I had in my step. They said, “You see too many tall women hunched over trying to hide it, but you…you just put it out there and you are beautiful.”

People do notice…even if you feel invisible, there are people watching…be proud.

I am!!!!!

~Nina~

No comments:

Post a Comment