August 15, 2010

Hawaiian Ice…Summer Fun

August 14, 2010

Memories are the foundation of every child’s life. The adventures, the laughter…it all brings them to the world of adulthood and sends them off on a voyage of independence. As I child I climbed trees, splashed in puddles, and so much more. Some of my very favorite memories include the days at the county fair. I was in 4-H for many years and participated in the beef shows as well as the auction amongst the other various projects I would take such as photography, baking, and sewing. The atmosphere fostered creativity and marked the summer sun I lived for. Those were the days…

As a parent you look forward to giving your children similar memories and a foundation of imagination. Today I took my children to that very same fair that I was a part of for so many years. The sun was high and the heat was bold, but we were smiling as the summer air kissed our foreheads. As we walked through the barns the boys giggled hysterically at the chickens. Those smiles of pure innocence and joy are footprints within my motherhood heart. My daughter was determined to see the pigs, but enjoyed learning about all of the animals she saw. Her mind was processing the answers to her questions and the visible conclusion of her smirk was that she benefited from her new found knowledge.

Lunch came quick and the treat of fair food was indulged. The meal of hotdogs and cheese burgers touched each of our internal gluttony for a good time. The taste of a funnel cake brought the sweetness to the tongue of adventure. Though surrounded with the duties of feeding, cleaning, and more…my efforts were a whirlwind embracing me as my children expressed great pleasure throughout the day. My personal favorite, the Hawaiian Ice stand, brought me back to my childhood. Ordering my usual I got to share my childhood memory as I generated one with my children.

The day was functionally a success. As I trailed through the sea of people with my children and my Mom I had this overwhelming flood of peace. I try to remember what it was to be the little girl draggling my feet along side my own Mother and concluded that she embraced the same value and appreciation for life at that moment as well. Sharing my moments as a parent with my own, it does surface a greater admiration for her efforts as I can relate on a whole new level. I thank my Mom for the time and energy spent plus more. I thank God for a day without rain as I had the opportunity to take my children out. I thank my children as each reaction trails a deep sense of love while I witness them loving the life they live. Monumental movements, maybe not…but the day was perfect.

Sun kissed…Memories warm

~Nina~

No comments:

Post a Comment