September 4, 2010

New Challenges…New Skills Earned

Last night I didn’t make it to the computer as I had fallen asleep next to my sweet daughter while snuggling with her. Waking up around midnight, I tucked her in and ventured downstairs. I stood before the mirror in the bathroom and realized that the serenity I was embraced with at that very moment calmed all possibility to have anything but peace at heart. Life at this time is just what I need…calm.

Today presented me with some challenges I wanted to overcome. I have a hunger that burns deep for knowledge as I am addicted to learning. I won’t allow anything to stand in my way while the words, “I can’t” are not allowed. If there is one thing I have learned is that I don’t stand on the side lines waiting for help…I will find a way to prove myself. There is nothing that I cannot do. My motto remains: if there is a will, there is a way.

My little girl is three years old and only has had one actual hair cut since I brought her into this world. I did cut her bangs a few times myself, but the body and style grew naturally. This summer was the first time I had it trimmed as it was getting a little long. Now having boys is a different story. The up keep is necessary more frequently and not something I was ready for. With that comes double the price tag which is just another blessing of twin bliss. My energy is to meet my children’s needs with the most cost effective way without jeopardizing the integrity of their needs. Funds are not endless here in my motherhood pocket book, which is why if I can find another route to bring ease to the cost of parenthood I will.

With lots of research, reading, and some focus on my belief within I laid out the tools for this new adventure. I wanted to maintain a similar style as their little boy look is beyond adorable. With the use of two guards, a pair of scissors, and a deep breath I managed to present success to a cute hair cut times two. The boys did great sitting patiently and I just trusted myself enough to know that I have always managed to succeed with anything I put my effort into. As I cleaned them up and dressed them they both smiled with great innocence, of that purity of a small child. They are growing so fast and now have those grown up looks to them. My babies are becoming toddlers while I struggle to slow time.

I was filled with pride today. I pulled off a little boy’s haircut that wasn’t a buzz cut. I added to my bank of skills in which can save me not only a trip to the salon, but a debit to my checkbook. Everyday I find new ways to strive at the challenges of raising twins, but more importantly I present great avenues to taking care of my three little ones as a single mother. I have said it many times before, but I cannot say it enough…being a mother is my number one job and my children are my number one priority.

I will shortly head up to bed and finalize my day. I will check on my darlings one last time and run my hand down their backs while whispering, “I love you” one more time. As I reach the doorway to each of their rooms, I will turn and smile as the pride I have glows as I watch my beautiful gifts sleeping. I will place my head upon my pillow and close my eyes with the internal harmony that calms my mind. Drifting into the land of dreams I will pray my appreciation to the life I have…to the gift I truly love.

Lockets of love…Snippets of transition

~Nina~

No comments:

Post a Comment