April 29, 2010

Liberation…Confidence

Freedom is a part of our nation. I live in this land, amongst the free. I think about this daily and wonder... Why within a country of opportunities did I feel chained to the prison of my own home? Why was my liberty taken from me? The terroristic emotions of domestic abuse can consume your entire being causing one’s defeated essence to give up. As a little girl I remember standing with my shoulders turned toward the flag ready to recite the Pledge of Allegiance before class started each morning. As an innocent child, I would place my hand over my heart and pledge with pride. Today, as a survivor, I have stumbled across a new declaration…

I Pledge Allegiance

To all the things that are good about me…
And I will, from this day forward,

No longer try to be everything to everybody.
Nor will I be someone I’m not.
I will no longer use all my energies to fulfill the dreams of others while mine go unattended.
I will use my assertive right to take charge of my life.
I will never again know guilt, for this pain is self chosen.
I will fight the manipulators and their ploys by standing up for myself and my ideals.
I will insist on being treated with dignity, and demand goodness in my life.
I will speak the truth quietly and clearly, and listen to others.
I will be the judge of my behavior, thoughts, and emotions – and I will be responsible for them.
I will always challenge put-downs.
I will destroy negative thoughts and fears of rejections.
I will not distress myself with imaginings.
I will be gentle with myself and strive to be happy.
I will live positively – And I will begin now.

~Author Unknown~

Closing my eyes I can see the words of this pronouncement. As I breathe, calmness flows through my veins. Exhaling softly brings the visual white cloud of serenity. My chin is up, my self-awareness peaked. Daily, these words will become apart of my everyday routine. My flag will be the pictures of my children on my living room wall. I will fold both hands over my heart and invest the positive energy into myself. I am worth it, my soul; my heart…the compassion is priceless.

I am honestly grateful for every sunrise, each smile from my children, the constant challenge, and incurring triumphs. I have come to a place in my life where dreams are becoming realities. Accomplishing goals are now a hobby and holding my head high has become a part of my natural posture. I am a woman, a part of the perceived weaker sex, but I am a woman of great achievement. I am a woman with the aspiration to inspire our society. I am a woman with knowledge and the drive to educate others.

There is nothing I can’t do…

~Nina~

No comments:

Post a Comment